Digitalization and Digitization
We see that concepts of digitalization and digitization are often confused with each other lately. Should the need arise for definition, digitization is to transfer business process from analogue to digital form, while digitalization is to transform business models by using digital technologies in order to create a new income tool, find out opportunities that will create value, it is a phase for transition to the digital business.
It is so normal that this question comes to your mind at this point: ‘Could we digitalize as we digitize?’ The answer is apparently ‘No, we cannot.’ While we are trying to transform what we have – the existent -, the world comes closer to each other with a greater motivation than we estimated and transforms to a faster form. Already started to change the existent years ago, the world is talking about how sectors can change and transform each other. The transform is so fast that since 2000, 52% of Fortune 500 companies do not exist today; this can state the importance of situation.
Not to change, but to transform
While sectors are transforming so fast, actors of these sectors are trying to make their business models and point of views compatible with this transform at a great pace in order not to fall behind the process. From now on, companies are aware that until they complete their transformation processes in real terms, even a recently-founded start-up can create competition on the market and be effective on the market by increasing its brand value suddenly.
Meet your new workforce: Liquid Workforce
Big companies in almost all sectors are investing in various types of instruments and technologies to keep pace with the transformation in digital age. They do not only see technologies as instruments what will create a whole transformation, at the same time, they see technologies as an instrument which will make their employees, projects and all organizations high adaptive and ready to transform. These companies better understand the importance of human force who can take the lead for transformation with necessary creative thinking and innovative ideas, being aware of developments in the world, thinking for not saving today but tomorrow and wanting to produce.
Now, let’s look at what today’s companies are aimed to transform in the future:
- Data based firm management that decides with analytic estimations and analyses and in which humans are not key points, instead of human-focused business fields generally such as engineering, sales, marketing, design carried out for mass
- Trainings constantly provided in wide range of and different areas, instead of trainings provided for technologies and instruments that the firm has already invested in.
- Outward-oriented structures in which outsource human resources and common platforms at the internet, instead of dissected workforce management instruments
- The constant innovation thinking model that employees are supported for innovation and entrepreneurship
- Project-oriented working groups that are more agile, based upon quality sharing and in which the collaboration is supported, instead of low-level collaboration
As a person who have been producing projects actively in the digital world, innovation and entrepreneurship fields in Germany, Russia, America, England and Turkey for nearly 15 years, I believe that the transformation should be carried out with decisive steps and in a way giving the same enthusiasm for all employees of the company. Businesses done piece by piece, away from holism, can bring with them slowing down instead of speed and even regression as their many examples.
And, how do you digitalize as an individual?